"Is it more important to love … or to be loved?"
Most of us would agree with George Eliot’s words, “I like not only to be loved, but also to be told I am loved.”
Valentine’s Day is the occasion when you can experience both. The White Rabbit has some ideas to say 'I Love You' and we have also shared a Printable!
Here are 25 creative ways to tell your spouse, “I love you.”
1. On small pieces of paper, write down every kind of kiss that you can think of (examples: passionate, on the cheek, etc.). Then fill an inexpensive red felt bag with your “kisses” and give it to your spouse. Ask your spouse to pull several pieces of paper from the felt bag, and then give your sweetheart whatever kind of kiss is described.
2. Make a book about why you love your spouse and why you are thankful for him/her.
3. Take your sweetie on a scavenger hunt. Ask him/her to answer riddles to find the clues to items that you placed somewhere around town. The last item should give instructions that lead to your Valentine’s Day activities.
4. After enjoying a candlelight dinner for two at home, give your spouse a massage and watch a romantic movie.
5. Surprise your spouse with a special getaway together. Book a babysitter if you have kids, and take your other half away for the day! Try make this a surprise!
6. Give your wife a dozen roses. On each stem attach a note for a future date—to do something that she would enjoy (example: Go to the theatre).
7. If possible, go on a date with your spouse to a restaurant that you enjoyed when you first met. After you order your meal, take some time to write down favorite memories from the past year. Then share your lists.
8. Have 11 roses delivered to your wife, and then give her a 12th yourself while reading her a love poem.
9. Fill a large box with helium balloons and special gifts for Valentine’s Day. We suggest gifts like new boxers, a slinky nightgown, candles and maybe a romantic CD.
10. Create an intimate Valentine’s Day evening at home, without the children.
11. Order food from a take-out restaurant and have a picnic for all the Valentines in your family on your living room floor.
12. Privacy and weather permitting, watch a romantic movie on your deck or patio.
13. If you are separated across the miles, send a care package filled with things that are red.
14. Make a meal with symbols of love. Examples: Write I love you with string beans, make a tart in the shape of a heart …
15. Hide little heart candies in your spouse’s shoes, coat, car, etc.
16. Wives, show up at your husband’s office before lunch. Call him from the parking lot and tell him you are going to take him for a lunch rendezvous and that you will be waiting for him whenever he can take a break. Wear a nice outfit and tell him you have something sexy on underneath for when he gets home. Take him to a nice place for lunch and back to the office. Give him some great kisses telling him how glad you are to be married to him, and tell him you will be waiting for him when he gets home.
17. Fill a jar with Valentine candy and notes for your spouse. Examples of notes are: Good for a backrub, 10 kisses, etc. Notes could also express your love and respect: “I am so glad that God blessed my life with such a great husband like you.” Individually roll each note and tie it with a ribbon.
18. Surprise your spouse by taking a vacation day from work and enjoy Valentine’s Day at home. Have a relaxing morning together on the porch, deck, or patio. Then go to a favorite restaurant for lunch.
19. Write a poem for your spouse and frame it.
20. On individual note cards, write why you love your spouse. Insert these cards in a small photo album.
21. Surprise your husband when he comes home from work on February 14. Place a welcome sign on the kitchen table and leave a trail of red foil-wrapped Hershey kisses to your bedroom.
22. With roses in hand and permission from your wife’s boss, go to her workplace and read a love poem to her.
23. Make a special “14 Reasons I Love You” Valentine’s Day breakfast for your sweetheart. On his/her plate, leave a letter or card listing 14 reasons that you love your spouse.
24. After your spouse goes to bed, tape notes to his car’s steering wheel with reasons that you love him, or decorate the bathroom mirror with lipstick kisses or Valentine’s window clings.
25. Print out our valentines cards to help you make your day magical! Click here to download the Valentines Printable.
Have fun on February 14, and remember: Love is not meant to be given and received on just Valentine’s Day. Instead, it’s to be practiced every single day of the entire year.